May 14, 2013
- An ambitious new partnership to save the lives of a million of the poorest children in the world has been launched by GSK and Save the Children. This unique collaboration will see the two organisations work together in a very different way, sharing expertise, resources, reach and influence to tackle some of the leading causes of childhood deaths.
- Lilly Oncology to Release New Pipeline Data at ASCO 2013
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved the cobas EGFR Mutation Test, a companion diagnostic for the cancer drug Tarceva (erlotinib). This is the first FDA-approved companion diagnostic that detects epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) gene mutations, which are present in approximately 10 percent of non-small cell lung cancers (NSCLC).
- On May 10, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved Nymalize, a new nimodipine oral solution, to treat patients experiencing symptoms resulting from ruptured blood vessels in the brain (subarachnoid hemorrhage). Nimodipine previously was available only as a liquid-filled gel capsule.
- Lilly Provides Update on CEO Dr. John Lechleiter
Tokyo, Japan, May 14, 2013 - Astellas Pharma Inc. (Tokyo：4503, President and CEO: Yoshihiko Hatanaka, hereinafter called “Astellas”) today announced plans to reshape its research framework by introducing new initiatives to further enhance the ability to generate innovative drugs.
By optimizing the allocation of resources for its research and development function, Astellas aims to achieve the following...
- Chronic pain is invisible, but for the people suffering from this hard-to-treat problem, it can be overwhelming. In the IMI project EUROPAIN, scientists from research institutions, universities and pharmaceutical companies have come together to learn more about the basic biology behind chronic pain. This will create a solid knowledge base to speed the development of drugs, known as analgesics, to treat pain. Around one in five adults in Europe have chronic (long-term) pain, i.e. lasting for...
May 13, 2013
- In a landmark cancer study published online in Nature, researchers at NYU School of Medicine have unraveled a longstanding mystery about how pancreatic tumor cells feed themselves, opening up new therapeutic possibilities for a notoriously lethal disease with few treatment options. Pancreatic cancer kills nearly 38,000 Americans annually, making it a leading cause of cancer death. The life expectancy for most people diagnosed with it is less than a year.
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has released a new tool to help bolster the food industry’s defense measures against an act of intentional food contamination. The Food Defense Plan Builder is a comprehensive, easy-to-use software program designed to help owners and operators of food facilities—ranging from primary production and manufacturing to retail and transportation—develop customized plans to minimize the risk of intentional contamination at their individual food facilities.
- -ELOCTATE™ Has Potential to Provide Long-Lasting Protection and Markedly Reduce Treatment Burden for Patients- WESTON, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May. 13, 2013-- Biogen Idec (NASDAQ: BIIB) announced today that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has accepted the company’s Biologics License Application (BLA) for the marketing approval of ELOCTATE™ (recombinant factor VIII Fc fusion protein) for the treatment of hemophilia A. ELOCTATE...