April 30, 2013
- 25 - 28 May 2013, Lisbon, Portugal.
The Heart Failure Congress 2013 promises more science than ever this year, with a record number of abstracts submitted. More than 1,500 scientific abstracts from around the globe will be presented. The top ranking abstracts will be presented orally and a large area will be dedicated to poster presentations. Flash presentations with research highlights will be followed by animated discussions led by international leaders in heart failure,...
April 29, 2013
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Kcentra (Prothrombin Complex Concentrate, Human) for the urgent reversal of vitamin K antagonist (VKA) anticoagulation in adults with acute major bleeding. Plasma is the only other product approved for this use in the United States.
- Fueled in part by an inclination to speed new treatments to patients, research studies for cancer therapies tend to be smaller and less robust than for other diseases. This raises some questions about how cancer therapies will work in practice, according to researchers at Duke Medicine, who published an analysis of nearly 9,000 oncology clinical research studies online April 29, 2013, in the journal JAMA Internal Medicine.
- The European Medicines Agency is closed from 6.30pm on Tuesday 30 April until 7.30am on Thursday 2 May 2013.
- Following the recent recommendation by the Pharmacovigilance Risk Assessment Committee (PRAC), the Co-ordination Group for Mutual Recognition and Decentralised Procedures – Human (CMDh) has endorsed by majority the PRAC recommendation to suspend the marketing authorisations of tetrazepam-containing medicines across the European Union (EU).
- For the first time, researchers at Karolinska Institutet in Sweden have managed to obtain detailed images of the way in which the transport protein GLUT transports sugars into cells. Since tumours are highly dependent on the transportation of nutrients in order to be able to grow rapidly, the researchers are hoping that the study published in the scientific magazine Nature Structural & Molecular Biology will form the basis for new strategies to fight cancer cells. In order to be able to...
April 28, 2013
- For the Bayer Group, the first quarter of 2013 was marked by the positive development of its Life Sciences businesses. "HealthCare and CropScience got off to a good start in our anniversary year. Our new pharmaceutical products especially grew at a dynamic pace," said Management Board Chairman Dr. Marijn Dekkers when the interim report for the first quarter was...
April 26, 2013
- The European Medicines Agency (EMA) supports World Veterinary Day, taking place on Saturday 27 April 2013.
- Roche announced today that the European Union’s Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) has recommended conditional approval of Erivedge (vismodegib) for the treatment of adult patients with symptomatic metastatic basal cell carcinoma, or locally advanced basal cell carcinoma inappropriate for surgery or radiotherapy.
- This page provides an overview of the opinions adopted at the April 2013 meeting of the CHMP and other important outcomes.