May 2, 2013
- A study led by prominent breast cancer experts from Europe and the US has revealed a number of potentially important prospects for targeted therapies, and brings opportunities of truly personalised therapy for breast cancer a step closer, researchers said at the 5th IMPAKT Breast Cancer Conference in Brussels, Belgium.
May 1, 2013
- There is worldwide concern in the biomedical research community that enrollment in clinical trials is lagging, putting clinical research and consequent benefits to society in jeopardy. Experts explore ways to embed patient voices and values in clinical research in the current issue of Mayo Clinic Proceedings.
- H. Lundbeck A/S (Lundbeck) reports first quarter revenue of DKK 4,576 million corresponding to an increase of 21%. Profit from operations (EBIT) in the quarter increased 73% to DKK 1,526 million corresponding to an EBIT margin of 33%. The quarter is positively impacted by non-recurring items from milestones and divestiture of the mature US product-portfolio.
April 29, 2013
- Fueled in part by an inclination to speed new treatments to patients, research studies for cancer therapies tend to be smaller and less robust than for other diseases. This raises some questions about how cancer therapies will work in practice, according to researchers at Duke Medicine, who published an analysis of nearly 9,000 oncology clinical research studies online April 29, 2013, in the journal JAMA Internal Medicine.
April 28, 2013
- For the Bayer Group, the first quarter of 2013 was marked by the positive development of its Life Sciences businesses. "HealthCare and CropScience got off to a good start in our anniversary year. Our new pharmaceutical products especially grew at a dynamic pace," said Management Board Chairman Dr. Marijn Dekkers when the interim report for the first quarter was...
April 25, 2013
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Company (NYSE: BMY) reported financial results for the first quarter of 2013, and confirmed GAAP EPS and non-GAAP EPS guidance ranges for 2013. Bristol-Myers Squibb posted first quarter 2013 net sales of $3.8 billion, a decrease of 27% compared to the same period a year ago, following the U.S. patent expiration of...
- AstraZeneca today announced that the revenue for the first quarter was $6,385 million, down 12 percent at constant exchange rates (CER). Losses of exclusivity for Seroquel IR and Atacand in many markets, and for Crestor in Canada, were the key drivers for the revenue decline. Growth for Symbicort, Brilinta, Iressa and the inclusion of the Amylin...
April 24, 2013
- In an advance toward coping with bacteria that shrug off existing antibiotics and sterilization methods, scientists are reporting development of a new family of selective antimicrobial agents that do not rely on traditional antibiotics. Their report on these synthetic colloid particles, which can be custom-designed to recognize the shape of specific kinds of bacteria and inactivate them, appears in the Journal of the American Chemical Society.
- Novartis net sales increased 2% (+4% cc) to USD 14.0 billion in the first quarter, with all divisions contributing to growth. Currency had a negative impact of 2 percentage points. Excluding the impact of patent expiries, underlying sales grew 7%. This was fueled by growth products such as Gilenya, Afinitor, Tasigna, Galvus, Lucentis, Xolair, Arcapta...
April 23, 2013
- Researchers have long known that cancerous tumors grow collections of abnormal blood cells, the fuel that feeds this disease and keeps it growing. Now, new evidence in an animal model suggests that blood vessels in the fat tissue of obese individuals could provide the same purpose - and could provide the key to a new way for people to lose weight.